Oswestry Rural Parish Council was formed in 1894. It serves those who live in the parish of Oswestry Rural. It has 15 councillors who represent the 5 wards within the parish which are:
- Morda with Sweeney for which there are 5 councillors.
- Maesbury with Aston for which there are 3 councillors.
- Rhydycroesau with Llanforda for which there are 2 councillors.
- Sychtyn - for which there is 1 councillor.
- Trefonen with Treflach for which there are 4 councillors.
The Chairman has a specially made Badge of Office which is kept inside a wooden case. The outer part of the Badge and the case was carved by former Chairman Mr Harry Perry of Aston Square. The Badge's enamelled centre was designed by R J Lewis and represents the 5 wards. Maesbury with Aston is depicted by the Montgomery canal, Morda with Sweeney is depicted by the Mill, Trefonen is depicted with an Oak sign of Offa’s Dyke walk, Rhydycroesau is depicted by a daffodil because of its proximity to Wales, and Sychtyn is depicted by hills. The gavel was made and presented by Cllr RT Newell.