The Planning System
Planning control is the process of managing the development of land and buildings. This helps to save the best of our heritage and improve the infrastructure upon which we depend for a civilised existence.
You can find more information on the Planning Portal
Shropshire Council is our local ‘planning authority’ and is responsible for making decisions concerning development in Shropshire, which can be anything from a house extension to a new shopping centre.
The Parish Council is consulted on all planning applications within the parish although the time we have to respond is normally 21 days.
When responding to planning applications we have to consider planning issues. These may include:
- consistency with the development plan for the area
- traffic and highway safety issues
- overlooking, loss of privacy and loss of light
- scale of the development
- design, appearance, layout and material
- loss of important open space of physical features
- noise, disturbance or smells
- local knowledge of drainage or other possible problems with the surface
- impact on the surroundings
These are known as material considerations and will influence whether a planning application is approved or refused.
Issues that are not relevant include:
- effect on the value of property
- loss of view over other people’s land
- possible future development not included in the application
- private property rights such as boundary or access disputes
- matters covered by other laws
- the morals or motives of the developer
We have the following policies which guide us when we responses to development in our parish.
Village Design Statements
The objectives of a Village Design Statement are:
- To describe the distinctive character of the village and the surrounding countryside.
- To show how character can be identified at three levels which include:
- the landscape setting of the village and
- the shape of the settlement.
- To draw up design principles based on the distinctive local character.
There are 3 Village Design Statements in the parish:
- Maesbury with Aston Ward Village Design Statement
- Design Plan for the Rhydycroesau Area
- Trefonen, Treflach and Nantmawr Village Design Statement (currently under review – for more information please follow this link)