The Planning System
Planning control is the process of managing the development of land and buildings. The purposes of this process are to save what is best of our heritage and improve the infrastructure upon which we depend for a civilised existence.
Shropshire Council (the ‘planning authority’) is responsible for deciding whether a development – anything from an extension on a house to a new shopping centre – should go ahead.
The Parish Council is a statutory consultee however on planning applications and is normally given 21 days to comment.
When reviewing applications the Parish Council considers planning issues. These can include:
- consistency with the development plan for the area
- traffic and highway safety issues
- overlooking, loss of privacy and loss of light
- scale of the development
- design, appearance, layout and material
- loss of important open space of physical features
- noise, disturbance or smells
- local knowledge of drainage or other possible problems with the surface
- impact on the surroundings
Issues that are not relevant include:
- effect on the value of property
- loss of view over other people’s land
- possible future development not included in the application
- private property rights such as boundary or access disputes
- matters covered by other laws
- the morals or motives of the developer
The following policies regarding Planning have been adopted by the Parish Council:
Village Design Statements
The objectives of Village Design Statement are:
- To describe the distinctive character of the village and the surrounding countryside.
- To show how character can be identified at three levels:
- the landscape setting of the village;
- the shape of the settlement;
- the nature of the buildings themselves.
- To draw up design principles based on the distinctive local character.
- To work in partnership with the local planning authority in the context of existing local planning policy, and to influence future policies.
There are 3 Village Design Statements in the Parish:
- Maesbury with Aston Ward Village Design Statement
- Design Plan for the Rhydycroesau Area
- Trefonen, Treflach and Nantmawr Village Design Statement (currently under review – for more information follow this link)